The Montgomery Canal was initially designed to run from Llanymynech to Newtown. Construction wasn't easy but the canal was finally completed in 1817 (IN 1796 the stretch from Llanymynech to Frankton Junction was completed, linking the canal with the Shropshire Union Canal).
The Canal was used mainly for the transportation of limestone for agricultural purposes and was never really profitable. The coming of the railways also had a negative effect as there was now competition for freight.
The end came when a breach occurred near the Perry Aqueduct and boats could no longer navigate along the canal. Final closure came in 1944.
Since the 1960's there has been an ongoing desire to reopen the canal to boats and various sections are now navigable. Work has also taken place along parts of the towpath to encourage walkers and cyclists.
For more information please visit:
The Montgomery Canal
Canal Boat trips take place between Easter and September on specific days.
Private trips can also be accommodated by arrangement.
Tickets and more information available from the Tourist Information Centre.
01938 552 043
The Heulwen Trust: www.heulwentrust.co.uk